Mobile commerce is fundamentally changing how business is done, especially for the travel sector. This year, digital travel worldwide will increase 10.4% to reach $676B in sales, climbing to $855B by 2021. In the US, mobile already drives 40% of digital travel sales.
This mobile opportunity has developed much faster than the actual capabilities of travel merchants. If they hope to convert more mobile users into higher revenue, merchants will need mobile solutions that make the path to purchase seamless, frictionless and tightly integrated into the overall journey.
Key areas covered in the Mobile Outlook 2018 report include:
- How the long-envisioned “mobile journey” is being realized, and why the growth in ancillary travel sales is leading travel operators to ask serious questions about their ecommerce strategies
- How will hospitality operators adapt as two different business areas increasingly become one and the same operation: mobile user experience (UX) and customer experience (CX)?
- Rail operators are looking to expand and increase their share of the travel market, but how will they sell a new generation of travelers on the convenience, comfort and economy of rail in a mobile environment?
- For ferries and other passenger transportation operators, are mobile solutions a “game changer” for ticketing and fare payment?
- The popularity of blockchain technology is due to its far-reaching potential across all industries, but particularly in the travel sector. Blockchain technology could help airlines and other travel merchants create a secure passenger ID, which would enable better management of loyalty banks and other customer profile data across all merchants and transactions, eliminating problems resulting from fragmented or siloed data.
- Four of the five fastest-growing travel markets are in Asia-Pacific (China, India, Indonesia, Vietnam), but travel is also growing exponentially in Africa, the Middle East and Latin America. These regions also have growing populations of mobile-first smartphone users who want to be catered to by travel merchants.
Download Mobile Outlook 2018 now for analysis and insight into how mobile-first solutions will generate higher revenue and make travel easier for operators, merchants and customers.